Wednesday, August 5, 2009

I’m Shot

Sometimes kids do the stupidest thing. When I was 11 or 12, Curt Edwards (friend from across the street) and I were at Labor day watching a honor guard fire their rifles. They used to do that on Labor day. Well, we watched the guys when the got done and they went into the basement of the Community Building. After they were gone, Curt and I went down to see what we could see..... What we found were these huge bullets (blanks). We took a couple... We were kids.. They shouldn’t have left them out... We went home and tried to find a way to shoot one. We finally came up with the bright idea of clipping one to moms clothes line. I got out my trusty Benjamin air rifle, which could shoot through a 55 gallon trash can (both sides). Curt took two or three shots at the end of the bullets with no luck. So, I took my turn. There was this ear deafening explosion and I think wow I hit it. Then I heard those words from Curt “I’m Shot”. I look over and said where, he pointed at his arm and there was a hole in it were a piece of the casing hit him. It was starting to bleed. We both just stood there, then we looked over at Curt’s house and his mom Joyce was standing on their font porch just looking at us. Curt put his hand over the wound and walked over to his mom. After awhile Curt came out with a bandage on his arm. We had to give Joyce the other blanks and she told us we were lucky we didn’t lose an eye. Never heard another thing about it, so I guess she didn’t tell mom or daddy about it. I’d like to say that was last stupid thing I did, but it wasn’t. More on that later.

No comments: