Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Get a Real Job by Age 35

When I was growing up and when I was an adult, Daddy would tell me that I needed to find a job with a pension by the time I was 35. He said that a person needed 30 years in a pension system so that they could retire at age 65. I always remember what he told me. When I left the Secretary of States office, I had around 10 years of retirement that I could have cashed in. Vicky and I decided to roll the money into a 401k, so that I could put it back into the State retirement if I ever returned. When I returned to State Government three and half years later I rolled that money back into my retirement. Well I’m not 65, but I do have 31 years at the state. If I retire at 65 I will have around 38 years at the State. Daddy had good advice on working and retirement.

No comments: