Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Summers at the river

Daddy told me stories of him living at the river during the summers when school was out. He showed me one time where they used to camp out and what I remember it more like a small stream. He said that it was something that his friends and him would do every year. He said that they mostly just ate fish and frogs. Daddy did not have a good home life and I think this was a way to get away. Daddy said that Aunt Dot and Uncle Ralf would give them food and he would work on farms to make money. I’m sure that grandma and grandpa Cox were OK with him being out of the house. Daddy said that his friends and him would catch a slow moving train in Auburn and ride the rails for a few days and then work their way back to Auburn. He said that they would go all over the central part of the United States. He said that they never had any problems. He said that a lot of older kids road the rails back when he was a kid. I think that daddy really enjoyed those times during the summers of his youth.

No comments: