Monday, June 22, 2009

Mom and The Elctions




Mom worked the elections for many years. Her hard work directly lead to me getting my state job and my promotion into programming... A couple of years after I had started at the Secretary of States Office a group of us were talking about how we got our jobs.. Well I said that I got mine because I got an "A" on the exam.... What I didn't know was that one of the guys in the group was a Personnel person that had been put into Computer Operations temporally.. We had no idea that he was directly linked to the Secretary of State. The next night I come in and the Personnel guy (computer operator) has a copy of my employment application and points to a name at the bottom, the name was a Democratic Precinct Committeeman from Edinburg... He asked if I knew him and I said yes... he told me he called the person and he said he had OK'd my job as a favor to Mom and Dad. I had no idea. Several years later, I was talking to mom and told her that I was frustrated that I could not get into programming... I had qualified for a programming title, got an "A" and they still would not move me. Mom said that I should call Pete Sapetti and tell him. I called him on a Monday, he talked to me like he knew me all my life, said I would hear something soon. Went to work Wednesday and they told me that I would be starting in Programming on Friday.. So after months and months of frustration, one call to mom and then Pete got me what I had been working towards for almost three years. Overall, some would say that maybe that was not a good thing... Well it's just how things worked back in and in 1979. Computers has been very good to me...

No comments: