Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Mom

I don't know anyone that had a better Mom than we did. Our Aunts (on Mom’s side of the family) were very close.

I remember saying to the girls after I had carried Mom's casket to the hearse that us kids had a good Mom. I think back now, knowing what I know, and realize that we didn't have just a good Mom, we had an amazing Mom.

Mom was always their for us. When we needed our Mom, she stopped what she was doing and was by our side.

I like to tell people that I never got up in the middle of the night that I didn't see Mom with one of the girls. She was always there. Mom allowed us kids to be kids. When it rained and the yard and street would flood, Mom let us go outside to play in the water. We had friends over constantly, inside and outside the house, and I can’t remember Mom ever saying no.

I never knew that Mom got up real early and cleaned. Bonnie told me when I was an adult that Mom would get up early to get everything clean before we got up in the mornings. I just thought that the house was always clean. I know now that keeping that old house clean was a major job, especially with 4 kids and a husband.

And the food, Mom’s food was always hot and always good. I don’t know how she did it, but Mom always burnt the edge of the meat just a little for me. The only things I didn’t like was liver and beans. I think that the liver was daddy’s idea. I still don’t like beans, but liver is ok. Any of my friends that were lucky enough to eat at our house wanted to come back for more.

And the band, we practiced at our house a lot and Mom never said no, she never said turn it down... She just kept encouraging us... You have to know that we were very very very loud. I think Robert, Ron and Mark all liked the lunches and suppers that Mom made us.

Mom spent hundreds and hundreds of hours with me working on my spelling.. She never give up on me. Mom knew that I wasn’t stupid just because I can’t spell.

Even with all the grief that daddy gave mom over the years, she still loved him until the day he died.

The one thing I really miss about Mom is the phone calls I would get at work every few weeks. We didn’t talk a lot, she just wanted to know how I was doing...

I tell people that I had the perfect home when I was growing up. I know that it wasn’t perfect, but I do know that my Mom loved me and my sisters and showed us love every day.




.

No comments: